Monday, September 5, 2016

Preppy at the Periphery

Living at the bottom of the map, with only hints to prepdom (retailwise), poses problems procuring prep paraphenalia. 

Even mainstays, such as Vera Bradley and LL Bean are a stretch. Forget about Kiel James Patrick, Jack Rogers, Lilly Pulitzer, and Vineyard Vines. The shipping costs, if they will ship (not using an intermediary shipper), offend my preppy purse. 

Ralph Lauren, a parody of prep nowadays, is low-hanging fruit. The ubiquitous polos, most likely bootleg, hang sadly in charity shops. The too loud logos and garish colours are a cartoonish version of prep. Not to dismiss vintage or classic RL! I have a gorgeous blackwatch tartan bucket bag that I sourced from Invercargill on Trademe (akin to Ebay). 

 

I had a stroke of luck when I came across a Vineyard Vines tote on a local Facebook trading  page!! of course the seller was unaware of the brand. $10 very well spent!! 

 

I swallowed my distaste and paid $90 shipping (yes $90!!!) to get my beloved Jack Rogers sandals. A preppy essential, I ordered them with the aim of wearing them for my Rarotongan wedding but ended up wearing well-worn Sperry jandals instead (dressing was a rushed affair). The price of shipping, which wasn't fast btw, was offensive but I just had to have them!!!

 

My Lilly- secured at last!! US shoppers thought they had it hard- I had no shot at getting through website when Lilly for Target launched. Gotta love Ebay!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment